How To Lock An Electric Scooter: Tips and Tricks
You may be wondering how to lock an electric scooter properly. You want your scooter to be protected and safe from theft. This guide will show you how to lock it so that you reduce the chances of theft.
There are several different types of locks you can buy. The one you pick will all depend upon your individual preferences and needs. They all work to provide maximum protection for your scooter. You should lock your scooter wherever you go.
You may only be away from the scooter for a short time but lock it anyways. It only takes moments for a resourceful thief to steal your valuable scooter. Your scooter should also be locked at home, especially if you don’t have a locked garage.
Never leave your scooter out in the open where it can be seen by thieves where it will become an attractive target.
Locking Your Scooter
It’s easy to learn how to lock an electric scooter. All you need to do is follow the instructions that came with the lock. A lock doesn’t require any training to use so you won’t have a problem setting one up.
Many are operated by a key while others use a combination. If you use a combination, memorize it. Keep your bike lock key with you always. Maybe get a spare key made and store this in a secure location.
Types of Electric Scooter Locks
There are several types of scooter locks that you can get for your scooter. The one you get will all depend upon your needs.
These locks secure around the scooter handlebars. They keep the level of the brake pulled on. They are easy to attach to your scooter; don’t cost a lot, and they keep the bike in place so it can’t be pushed away. It’s hard for a thief to move a scooter when it has this type of lock in place.
These usually come with a key, so it’s easy to attach and then remove the lock. The disadvantages are that this type of lock can’t deter a thief from picking up the scooter and putting it in a truck. If you have a light scooter, this type of lock is probably not the best choice.
- Fits 95% of all motorcycles. Twist grip sizes from 27-38mm and Grip-lock is forward facing.
- 16 Years Warranty - Made in New Zealand
- Hardened Steel Rods for Maximum Protection
- Light and Compact yet Robust and Sturdy
- Visible Deterrent - the Clean, Safe Solution
These locks work like a standard bike cable lock does. You secure your scooter to an object. These objects need to be solid and not easily moved. For example, securing the scooter to a standard bike rack would keep it from being stolen. The advantage of them is that they are easy to attach to a solid surface.
The chains are heavy, so they are not easily cut unless the thief has an angle grinder, which is a common tool used by bike and scooter thieves to cut through the lock quickly. These locks also come with a standard key, or sometimes they have a combination lock where you need to enter numbers to open the lock.
This type of lock attaches to the brakes on the scooter. These keep it in place so it can’t be moved away. They are usually attached to the rear disc brake, but they can be attached to the front as well. The main advantage is that the thief can’t drive away with the scooter.
You can pair one with a chain lock for even more security for your scooter. The disadvantage is that many scooters are lightweight and can still be lifted and put in a truck.
- Make Thieves‘Lost’: MysBiker Alarm Disc Lock-Silver Knight is a practical solution for bikers to protect their beloved motorbikes or bikes while parking outside or at home. The Motorbike lock up to 110 decibel alarm will automatically activate upon sensing any vibration or shock,keeps your belongings safe and sound.
- Easy to Notice: The 6mm Pin Brake Disc Wheel Security Lock enclosed 2m/6ft disc lock reminder cable which is designed to attach to the brake or clutch lever and locked disc lock when you leave your motorcycle or bikes.Reminds you to remove the lock,and prevents potential damage caused by riding away while the disc lock is engaged. easy to lock with one-press operation, immediately The lock goes into alarm mode and you'll hear a "beep" sound. When detects a vibration, It has a warning triple "be
- Wide Application Range: MysBiker Anti-theft Motorcycle Disc Brake Lock fits Most Motorcycles,Scooters, Cruiser,Chopper, Sport Bike, Racing Bike. Such as: Harley,Aprilia, BMW, Buell,Honda, Kawasaki,Suzuki, KTM,Triumph and Yamaha.Harley Davidson, Yamaha FJR / YZF-R3 2017 / Raptor 700, 2017 Honda Groom, BMW G310R, 2017 Kawasaki Z125 / Kawasaki Ninja 250r 500r 650 2017 2012, 2016 Indian Scout Sixty, Suzuki GSX-R 600 / GSX-R1000, Triumph Bonneville Streets mat, Victory Cross-country, Honda shadow sp
- Strong and Durable:This brake lock is constructed with forged stainless steel and is secured with a 14mm double-locking, carbide-reinforced hardened-steel locking pin.The disc wheel lock with waterproof function,keep working in rainy days and never get rusty.
- Long Life Use: Each Motorcycle lock is pre-fitted with 6 LR44 batteries and extra 6 pcs batteries,and 3 pcs brass security keys.To replace the battery,you can use the mini wrench to remove the 4 screws at the bottom(see picture #6),then change the battery inside.
D Lock or U Lock for Electric Scooter
A U style shackle is passed through the wheel at the legs or the swingarm. The frame is then secured to an object and the bike can’t be stolen. They lock the wheel so the bike can’t be pushed away. They are strong locks and resist many common thief tools.
Make sure you use a small lock as the larger ones are easier to open by a thief. Your fist shouldn’t fit in the shackle gap. If your fist does, get a smaller lock as it’s harder to crack open.
- durable all-weather protection – Via Vela bike U-lock with hexagonal PVC cover resists corrosion from water, dust and dirt to prolong the life of your lock. All-weather performance means Peace of mind and better security
- ️ easy and strong to lock your bike – the bike lock with thickness: 14mm, 250mm x 150mm U shack to lock and go! Locking your bike and your wheels with 10mm x 180cm cable, fast and easy with our Quick, no-hassle system. Great bike safety tool
- Amazing convenience and security – 2 keys for convenience! The bike U-lock comes with 2 keys. One of them you can take and use in daily life and the other you can leave at home In case The trouble when you lose one carelessly
- simply installing bracket on your bike – convenient high-quality mounting bracket means your lock goes With you, our bracket is suitable for bike tube: 20-42mm. Pals refer to our picture to install the bracket value for your money
- and Customer service: 3-year applies to U lock for us, CA, up, EU cyclists, 90-Day money back policy, 24-hour online customer service. If you are not satisfied with It, you get a full refund unconditionally. Rest assured
A chain lock usually has a padlock or a key lock, and this is wrapped around the wheel of the scooter. This ties the wheel to the swingarm or the forks, and then it wraps around a solid object to secure the bike to a structure.
A chain lock is a common lock and easy to use. Many bike owners use a chain and lock system to secure their bikes to solid objects.
- 14mm six-sided chain links made of 3t HARDENED MANGANESE STEEL for ultimate strength
- Durable, protective nylon cover with hook-n-loop fasteners to hold in place
- Includes maximum security New York Disc Lock with 15mm MAX-PERFORMANCE STEEL SHACKLE
- Patented*, oval hardened STEEL CROSSBAR for extra security
- Hardened DOUBLE DEADBOLT locking for extensive holding power
Tips on How To Lock An Electric Scooter
Now that you know how to lock an electric scooter, here are some tips to make sure your bike is secured effectively.
Always lock your scooter
Your electric scooter should always be locked when you are away from the scooter. It doesn’t matter if you’re only going to be away from the scooter a short time; you need to lock it. Make sure it’s locked both day and night when you’re not around.
Use a cover
Put a cover on your e-scooter. This is an added step for thieves and makes the scooter less attractive. The thief has to take the cover off to see what type of scooter it is. Most thieves are looking for an easy steal, and they won’t want to take that added step. If you secure the bike outside, use a cover to deter thieves.
Use more than one lock
If you can afford it, use more than one lock. This adds more steps for the thief to go through, which they won’t want to do. You will have extra steps to take your bike out, but it will be well protected.
Alarm system for Electric Scooters
If the scooter is in the garage, add an alarm system. This means the thief must deal with a loud alarm and break the bike lock so they more than likely will run away and not steal your scooter.
- [LOUD 113dB BIKE ALARM] Fosmon’s 113dB loud vibration bicycle alarm with remote control is a great tool to protect your bike from theft. Keep your bicycle, e-bike, scooter, motorcycle, and more secured with this alarm.
- [VIBRATION SENSOR ALARM] When armed, this anti-theft bicycle alarm responds to vibration or being moved. You can manually adjust the 7 different sensitivity levels to best fit your setup.
- [EASY TO SET UP] This anti-theft vibration alarm is easy to set up. First, determine the mounting surface and clean accordingly. Then apply the provided adhesive or mount using the cable ties and brackets on the backside of the alarm.
- [MULTI-PURPOSE ALARM] Use this anti-theft alarm for a variety of purposes: as a luggage alarm, fence alarm, trailer alarm, and more. This device works great as added security when used with locks as well.
- [LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY] This product comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Please refer to Fosmon’s website for more information.
Secure it to something heavy and stable
Make sure the scooter is secured to something that is very heavy. This makes it a lot harder to lift the object and scooter.
Don't leave your accessories on it
Take your accessories and electric scooter parts. Never leave any accessories in the scooter compartments; if the thief can’t get the bike, they will go for the accessories you have like a helmet, gloves, and so on.